Hna is a census-designated place (CDP) in Maui County, Hawaii, United States. The population was 1,235 at the 2010 census. Hana is located at the eastern end of the island of Maui and is one of the most isolated communities in the state. It is reached mainly via the Hana Highway, a long, winding, 52-mile-long (84km) highway along Maui's northern shore. Like most of Hawaii, Hana was probably first settled between 500 and 800 AD by Polynesian peoples. The first sugar plantation in the area was established by George Wilfong in 1849, and by 1883 there were six plantations operating in the area. By 1946, however, the last sugar plantation had closed, leading plantation workers to move mostly to the west side of Maui. That same year saw the opening of the Ka-'uiki Inn, today known as the Hotel Hana-Maui, which helped transition the economy towards tourism. The winding, famously scenic Hana Highway was completed in 1926. Originally paved with gravel, it provided the first land vehicle access to the town. Hana's population peaked in the first half of the twentieth century, with a population of about 3500.