Princeville is a census-designated place (CDP) on the north shore of the island of Kauai in Kauai County, Hawaii, United States. The population was 1,698 at the 2000 census. Princeville is located at 221325N159297W / 22.22361N 159.48528W / 22.22361; -159.48528 (22.223513, -159.485392). According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.2km2), of which, 2.1 square miles (5.4km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78km2) of it (11.76%) is water. The area was named in honor of an 1860 visit by Prince Albert Kamehameha, son of King Kamehameha IV and Queen Emma. It was then a plantation owned by Robert Crichton Wyllie. He named another part of the plantation Emmaville, but that name never stuck. Originally the land was planted with Coffee which was not suited to the wet lowlands. It was then planted with sugarcane. Wyllie's nephew inherited the land but committed suicide in 1866. In 1867 it was purchased by Elisha Hunt Allen and later became a cattle ranch. It was sold for development in 1968 and became a golf course and resort called Princeville at Hanalei.