Schofield Barracks, HI
Schofield Barracks is a United States Army installation and census-designated place (CDP) located in the City and County of Honolulu and in the Wahiawa District of the American island of Oahu, Hawaii. Schofield Barracks lies adjacent to the town of Wahiaw, separated from most of it by Lake Wilson (also known as Wahiaw Reservoir). Schofield Barracks is named after Lieutenant GeneralJohn McAllister Schofield, Commanding General United States Army August 1888 to September 1895. He had been sent to Hawaii in 1872 and had recommended the establishment of a naval base at Pearl Harbor. Schofield Barracks has an area of some 17,725 acres (72km2) on Central Oahu. The post was established in 1908 to provide mobile defense of Pearl Harbor and the entire island. It has been the home of the 25th Infantry Division, known as the Tropic Lightning Division, since 1941 as well as the Command Headquarters for United States Army Hawaii (USARHAW). Schofield Barracks is also home to the 8th Theater Sustainment Command. The population was 16,370 at the 2010 census. Schofield Barracks is located at 212952N158348W / 21.49778N 158.06333W / 21.49778; -158.06333 (21.497650, -158.063248). The Main Gate used to be off Wilikina Drive; however, now only the Foote and Lyman gates located along Kunia Road are used for controlled access. Proceeding north on Wilikina Road (State Rte. 99) leads to intersections with Kaukonahua Road (State Rte. 801) to Waialua and Kamehameha Highway (State Rte. 99) to Haleiwa. East on Wilikina leads to Interstate H-2 and Kamehameha Highway (State Rte.s 80 and 99) to Wahiaw and Mililani Town. Proceeding south on Kunia Road (State Route 750) past Schofield leads to the Kunia Gate on Wheeler, Kunia, and eventually Waipahu. According to the United States Census Bureau, the post has a total area of 2.8square miles (7.1km), all of it land.